Fiji is an archipelago of more the 330 islands, 110 are permanently inhabited.
Fiji won it’s first gold medal in rugby sevens at the 2016 Olympics.
I did not enjoy this meal. It was time consuming and lacked the flavor return of a meal that requires a time investment.
Baked Cod in Cream Sauce
- 2 cups of boneless cod fillet, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups Fiji Cream Sauce
- see below
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Arrange the cod pieces in one layer in a baking dish and pour the Fiji Cream Sauce over all.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake about thirty minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Fiji Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the onion and green pepper, stirring, until the onion is wilted.
- Add one and one-quarter cups of the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Blend the remaining one-quarter cup coconut milk with the cornstarch and stir it into the simmering sauce.
- Simmer three minutes, stirring.
Palusami – Fijian Stuffed Cabbage
- 1 head of white cabbage
- 1 pound of shrimp, cooked, shelled, and deveined
- 1 cup of finely chopped onion
- Salt and finely ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup of Heavy Coconut Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Core the cabbage, then separate the leaves.
- Rinse the leaves well and drain.
- Cut out six rectangles (8×10 each) of heavy-duty aluminum foil and place them on a flat surface.
- Arrange a large cabbage leaf, cup side up, on each rectangle.
- Finely chop two or three of the remaining leaves to make about three cups loosely packed chopped cabbage.
- Place the cabbage in a mixing bowl.
- Chop the shrimp and add them to the chopped cabbage.
- Add the chopped onion, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon equal parts of this mixture inside each of the cabbage leaves.
- Spoon two tablespoons of heavy coconut cream over each portion of filling.
- Fold the leaves to enclose the filling, then seal each stuffed leaf in foil.
- Arrange the packages in a baking dish and bake one hour.
- Serve hot.